Are you scheduled for periodontal surgery at Malek Periodontics? While Dr. Tannaz Malekzadeh and our team are committed to providing you with outstanding care, you are also responsible for the success of your visit. Take a few minutes to review our surgical instructions prior to your visit.
Before Your Appointment
- Please do not take aspirin or similar medications, such as Advil or Motrin, for 7-10 days before your visit.
- If you are taking any other medications including antibiotics, you may continue taking them as prescribed by your physician.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home after your visit.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing and flat shoes.
- You are welcome to bring your phone or media player and headphones or earbuds.
After Your Appointment
- Please take any prescribed medication, particularly antibiotics, as directed by the doctor.
- If you have been prescribed any pain medication, please do not take any other pain relievers. If you do not have a prescription, you may take over-the-counter pain medication as directed.
- If you experience swelling, apply an ice pack at 20-minute intervals.
- If you have continued or excessive bleeding, elevate your head and avoid rinsing your mouth. Apply gentle pressure with a moist tea bag wrapped in gauze for 20 minutes.
- If swelling, pain or bleeding continues or if you develop chills, nausea or a fever, please contact our office right away.
- Avoid smoking for at least two weeks after your visit and avoid alcohol if you have been given a prescription for pain medication
- Please begin rinsing your mouth with the Chlorhexidine mouthwash you receive from our office the night of your surgery and twice a day afterwards as directed by Dr. Malek
- While you can brush your teeth, you should avoid brushing the surgical site until it has healed.
- Please call our office if you have questions.
Immediately after your visit, you may not feel like eating. As you heal, you should stick with softer foods. We suggest eating the following:
- Apple sauce
- Cottage cheese
- Mashed potatoes
- Milkshakes or protein shakes
Our periodontist will tell you when you can expect to start enjoying solid foods again.
Our team is here to help you with any questions you may and to help you schedule your periodontal visit in Glendale, Arizona. You can call our office at 623-362-8969 for more information.